Skip to content
Do’s and Dont’s
- Immediately turn off heating and air conditioning system to prevent spreading of soot and odor. If it is necessary to use the system, change the filter first.
- Secure any doors or windows that may be damaged to prevent vandalism.
- Blow-off or brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- If electricity is off, empty refrigerator and freezer completely.
- Prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome on faucets.
- Pour anti-freeze in sinks, toilet bowls, and bathtubs to prevent freezing if heat is off in the winter.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves. (Water Softener Helps)
- Cover upholstery with sheets before using.
- Remove pets to a clean environment
- Wipe or attempt to wash walls, ceilings, or painted surfaces
- Use upholstered furniture if you can avoid it.
- Attempt to shampoo carpets or furniture.
- Use TV’s stereos or electrical appliances until cleaned and checked.
- Use any canned, packaged food or beverages that may have been subjected to heat.
- Send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.